FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS – FAQ
- When is Lazio – Atletico Madrid played?
- The match between Lazio and Atletico Madrid will be played on Tuesday 19 September 2023 at 9.00 pm
- Who is the referee of Lazio – Atletico Madrid?
- The referee of the match will be Slavko Vincic
- Who is the referee at VAR?
- The VAR referee for the Lazio – Atletico Madrid match will be Nejc Kajtazovic
- Where is Lazio – Atletico Madrid played?
- The match is played in Rome
- In which stadium is Lazio – Atletico Madrid played?
- Olympic Stadium
- Who broadcasts the Lazio – Atletico Madrid match?
- The match between Lazio and Atletico Madrid will be broadcast by Canale 5, Sky Sport 1 and Sky
Lazio – Atletico Madrid is valid for the group stage of the 2023/2024 Champions League competition.
The match is scheduled for September 19th at 9:00 pm at the Olympic stadium in Rome.
The referee for Lazio – Atletico Madrid will be Slavko Vincic assisted by Tomasz Klancnik and Andraž Kovacic. Nejc Kajtazovic will be at VAR instead.
Lazio-Atletico Madrid x-ray: historical data, trends and curiosities
- This will be the first ever meeting between Lazio and Atlético Madrid in the Champions League. The last time they met was in the round of 32 of the 2011/12 Europa League, with the Spanish team winning 3-1 in Rome and 1-0 at home.
- Atlético Madrid have lost three of their last five Champions League matches against Italian teams (W1, D1), after remaining unbeaten in their first seven matches against these opponents (W5, D2). On the other hand, Lazio have won only one of their six matches against Spanish opponents in the tournament (D2, L3).
- After being eliminated in the group stage in three consecutive editions of the Champions League (2001-02, 2003-04 and 2007-08), Lazio remained unbeaten at this stage of the tournament in their last participation in 2020-21, qualifying for the round of 16 (2W, 4N).
- Lazio have always conceded goals in their last 19 Champions League matches, following the 2-0 win at Besiktas in September 2003. This is the longest streak without a clean sheet among Italian teams in the competition, equal to that of Rome (19 between 2010 and 2015).
- Atlético Madrid did not get past the group stage in last season’s Champions League and have never been eliminated from the group stage in two consecutive editions of the tournament.
- Atlético Madrid have kept a clean sheet in 43% of their Champions League matches (50/117). Of all teams with at least two seasons in the competition, only Chelsea (44%) have a higher clean sheet percentage.
- Lazio is the third Italian team coached by Maurizio Sarri in the Champions League (after Napoli and Juventus), only Carlo Ancelotti has managed more different Italian clubs in the competition (4 – Juventus, Milan, Napoli and Parma).
- This will be Diego Simeone’s 11th season in the Champions League as Atlético Madrid manager (every season since 2013-14). Simeone has 95 matches at the helm of the club in the Champions League, among coaches only Alex Ferguson (190 with Man Utd) and Arsène Wenger (177 with Arsenal) have more with a single team in the tournament.
- Daichi Kamada has found the net in each of his last three Champions League group stage appearances (three goals last season). In fact, Jude Bellingham (4) was the only central midfielder to score more in the group stage of the tournament in 2022/23.
- Among footballers currently playing for a European club, Antoine Griezmann (30 goals) is one of only two to have scored in each of the last nine editions of the Champions League, together with Robert Lewandowski.
Where to watch Lazio-Atletico Madrid in the 2023/2024 Champions League, live on TV and streaming
Lazio-Atletico Madrid can be followed live on Virgilio Sport starting from 9pm (half an hour before) on 19 September.
Lazio-Atletico Madrid is a match valid for the group stage of the 2023/2024 Champions League group stage. The match will be visible on the Sky platform on Sky Sport and Sky Calcio or in streaming from PCs, tablets and smartphones with Sky Go.
The complete Champions League calendar